Saturday, May 24, 2014

Kahoot, making learning and assessment fun


Kahoot is a free online tool that allows teachers to create interactive gaming experiences for their students. The teacher designs the questions and picks the correct answer. Once the game is created, students create a free account and use any internet browser capable device to log onto the game. Students compete with one another to respond correctly to each question. The system keeps track of their position in the game and the top 5 scores.

As you can see from the photo, I tried Kahoot with my 8th grade students. I used it as a fun review before a big test. As a Spanish Teacher, I was pleased to see that Kahoot has built in features that allowed me to easily add special characters. The students had never experienced something like Kahoot. I gave students very little instructions at the beginning and I allowed them to figure things out as the game progressed. They were very excited about playing this game. I allocated 30 minutes of class and had 35 questions. Students could see immediate results after each question. The fact that they were immediately ranked among their classmates made it very competitive. It's wonderful when students can learn and have fun at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment