Chromebooks can be used when there is no internet. You will need to set it up ahead of time when you do have an internet connection. This is especially useful to know so that we can share it with our students that don’t have internet at home or when traveling.
- You will need to make sure that it is set up to sync when offline. To do this go to Google Drive. Click on the gear on the top right of the screen. Click on Settings. A menu will open up. In the Settings section, make sure that offline “Sync Google Docs, Sheets, Slides & Drawings files to this computer to edit offline” is checked. If not, check it.
- Add ons and extensions will probably not work offline, but you will be able to use the basic Google programs.
- Go to the waffle on the bottom left corner of the chromebook. Type files in the search bar. It is a blue circle with a file folder in it. Select it. A window will open and you will be able to see all the documents that are synced to be accessible offline.
- You will not be able to share documents while offline.
- Once connected to the internet, the changes with sync with the cloud.
- If you worked collaboratively with another person on a document, once you connect to the internet some those changes might override the other.